Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. What are the risks of having HIV?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2703 Questions
Hello. I had an exposure to HIV. I was top during insertive anal to a positve bottom. During first insertion, condom broke. Heard the snap and pulled out right away. I've researched a bit on PEP. Not sure if I'd be prescribed it. Risk seems low?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

Anal insertive intercourse with a known HIV positive individual puts you at definitely high risk of infection. That too, you feel the condom broken and you pulled out immediately. Even then the risk cannot be ruled out.

It is better for you to take PEP. It has to be taken as early as possible, preferably within six hours. Even if it is more than six hours you can try with pep up to 24-48 hours. After 72 hours there is no use of taking PEP.
PEP drugs is of two types:
Basic Regimen - Two NRTI ( nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor) drugs
Extended regimen- Two NRTIs + one boosted PI ( protease inhibitor).
Both of them are to be taken for 4 weeks.
The regimen is decided by Exposure code and Source Status code. These are all for accidental pricks and not for post sexual exposures.
It is preferred to have the extended regimen for 4 weeks as early as possible to be on the safer side and wear good quality of condom with correct procedure to avoid such risks.

Get yourself protected as early as possible.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor