Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. Took clarithromycin 500mg. Tested negative for HIV. Is this syphilis or herpes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2703 Questions
Doctors please help, howwould i know if i contracted herpes or syphilis? Last may 4 i had an encounter with a girl prostitute and the condom broke off inside of her. Im very worried after that so a week after i took clarithromycin 500mg 2 times a day for 7 days and after a week i took 200mg ofloxacin 2 times a day for 10 days and a week after that i took cefuroxime 500mg 3 times a day for 7 days. Not yet satisfied last july 16 i had serology specifically rpr, tpha, hiv1, and hiv2 results are non- reactive, negative,
and 0.12 non-reactive respectively. My question is, is it enough window for test to take place? And lately last aug 6 i have small blister spreading in some parts of my body, is this syphilis or herpes?

Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Test for Syphilis usually become positive after 4-6 weeks of the entry of organism. In HIV the window period will be around 8-12 weeks. You already crossed these period and all your tests for Syphilis and HIV ( RPR, TPHA, HIV) are nonreactive. So you need not worried about both of these dreadful conditions. The blisters over your body cannot be due to Syphilis. Moreover vesicles and bullous lesions are not common in Acquired Syphilis.
Regarding Herpes, the blood tests are not so reliable. You can go for HSV 2 antibodies. Presence of HSV IgM antibodies is significant of recent infection and the IgG antibodies indicates old HSV infection.
Examination of the lesions by a Dermatovenereologist will be more useful to arrive at a diagnosis of Herpes or any other genital lesion. Smear examinations from the lesion also will help. The treatment for Herpes, you have to take anti-viral like Acyclovir, Famcylovr or Valacylovir.

So you better consult your physician.

Get well soon.

Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Took clarithromycin 500mg. Tested negative for HIV. Is this syphilis or herpes? 27 minutes later
Thank you for your reply doc. Another thing is it possible that my small blister is because i have been with a co-worker with chicken pox since july 23 and my blister only appeared last aug 6 but i already had chicken pox since i was a child? Or is it possible that this can be also a phantom symptoms? Ive been worrying about this since last may and keep on searching about stds on the net. My blister started on my arm a single bump and i cant find any on my genitals?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later

Pleased to answer your query.

IF YOU CAN'T FIND any blister on your genitals it is unlikely to be of Herpes also.

Chicken pox of childhood offers protection in a normal individual for up to 40 years. After that it may recur. But your age now is just 32 years and so the possibility cannot be ruled out.

In chicken pox you will usually have an erythema or red halo around the blister and a fever may precede or associated. Even if it is chicken pox, it will not be florid in an immune competent individual and likely to get started to cure within few days. So you need not worry.

I don't think this is a sexually transmitted disease. If the lesion persists consult your physician.

I hope you get cleared your doubts. Let me know if you have further enquiries.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor