Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. Took ELISA and HIV viral load tests. Having rashes and fatigue. Any other accurate tests for HIV ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 304 Questions
I had unprotected sex with a sex worker about 6 years ago and had typical acute HIV symptoms for a few months - I have been tested with ELISA tests and viral load for HIV-1 AND HIV-2 - I and my wife have several rashes , fatigue and other symptoms of early HIV disease. Is it possible I have a CRF variety or HIV Type O which would not show up on these tests? Desiring your answer. What more accurate tests can be taken to eliminate the possibilty of these other varieties of HIV?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 10 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I presume your tests for HIV were negative.
Fatigue, rashes etc can be a part of any sort of viral or other infection and should not be thought of as a sequel of HIV infection.
If your tests have been negative all these years and you have not been exposed again, it is highly unlikely that these symptoms are from HIV.
CRF or circulating recombinant forms can occur only once you are infected with HIV. No other tests are needed to rule out HIV. I would like to reassure you that you are free from infection and would urge you to practice safe sexual intercourse in the future. Also, avoid intravenous drug abuse or any other high risk behaviour known to be associated with HIV.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.


Dr.Rohit Batra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor