Had unprotected sex. Taking norethisterone for irregular periods. Chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Hi. We are newly married and we had a play of intercourse (meaning, not a complete intercourse. it was only my glans that went in her. It did not go in fully, that is what i mean and iam 200% SURE that i dint ejaculate as i dint ejaculate even after taking out. My worry is, there were some sperm like white patches near my glans which were visible before i inserted in her). This happened on 20th October 2012. She got Her last periods in first week of October 2012. We are just married and she is going for college still for higher education and does not want a baby at this time.. Can she take a contraceptive pill like 'Norethisterone Tab IT 5 mg' which she used to take for irregular periods? Please advice
Please advice if there could be any chances of pregnancy in this regard and advice us on what can be done to avoid it. Its been roughly 8 weeks since our play and 10 weeks since her last periods.
Thank you so much in advance for this valuable service.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Since your glans touched her private parts, the remote chances of pregnancy are there as the precum contains sperms which can cause pregnancy.
Now that her periods are delayed the first thing you need to do is to get her pregnancy test done using the kits available at all the pharmacies. You can be doubly sure by getting her serum HCG levels tested.
If the pregnancy is ruled out then the delay in her periods is likely to be due to a hormonal imbalance. In that case she can take norethisterone 5mg thrice daily for 5 days and then stop it to have a withdrawal bleeding.
In case the pregnancy test comes positive then she will have to consult a gynecologist for further treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 hours later
Hello doctor.
Thanks for you valuable advice again..

I just wanted to let you know one more thing. The precum which you mentioned is I think due to my previous night ejaculation at night(not during intercourse). Am trying to say the pre-ejaculate happened time is not close to our intercourse time...

Anyway as you said, am surely going to follow your instruction..

Can you please recommend the kit that are available in the pharmacies as i dont want to get going by the what the people in the pharmacies says.

And also please recommend a good obgyn doctor like you in Coimbatore to have a personal test, as we are new to this place.

Thank you so much again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can use a highly sensitive kit like Preganews for testing.
To find a good Gynecologist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
WWW.WWWW.WW .
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.