Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. Risks of getting infected with HIV?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I am a 26 year old male. Yesterday i had unprotected sexual intercourse (oral and vaginal) with a woman whom i am not sure is HIV +ve or not. I know i did a very stupid thing , but it was my first sexual experience in my life and i was not getting an erection using condom , so we ended up doing without any protection.
Now that everything is over i am so freaked out about my future.
1) What risk is there for me to get infected?
2) I am from kerala and i don't know how and where to go for a test. Is there anything like a complete confidential testing in kerala?
3) Should i consult a doctor before going for test? Can u please recommend any such doctor in Kerala (preferably ernakulam)
4) When should i take test?

Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Unprotected sex poses you to risk of HIV and other STDs.

To answer your questions.
1. The risk of getting HIV per act is low. It is approximately 0.3 % that is 1 per 333 exposures.
2. Testing is completely confidential and available at all government medical colleges as well as in private pathology labs.
3. There is no need for going to doctor before testing. If you don't have any symptoms you can directly test your blood. You can test blood anonymously. You can go for ELISA /WESTERN BLOT/PCR testing.
4. Ideal time to test blood will be after three months of exposure.
You can test blood after 3-4 weeks also the results of which should be confirmed at 3 months.

Hope this answers your query. There is no need to panic as the chances of acquiring HIV is very low in single act.

I will be available for follow up.

Dermatology, HIV specialist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Risks of getting infected with HIV? 46 minutes later
Thank you doctor, your reply was a great relief. You know i cannot discuss this matter with my parents n my CA Exams are coming soon. I am not able to concentrate on any thing n lost half my weight since yesterday. You say the risk is 0.3 % . But even low risk is a risk right? When i searched internet i came across may articles that says that one single act is enough to get infected.. My parents are trying to search a girl for my marriage and i don't want to harm any girl if i am infected. i don't know what to do and i think my life is ruined. Is there any way to know the result fastly rather than waiting for 3 months.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 minutes later
Hi again,

You are right XXXXXX; risk is a risk however small it may be.

You can undergo PCR test after 3 weeks. RNA PCR is highly specific and sensitive.
The results are dependable, however it is costly test.
You can undergo the testing at any standard laboratory like metropolis or religare lab.

Hope this helps.

DR Sudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor