Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. RT PCR test showed negative. Should I get tested again?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
I would like to know if I need to o any further HIV testing. My exposure was I used a condom with the guy, and as we changed positions the condom was still there, my concern is I didn't see the condom afterwards. After he ejaculated, he got up so quickly and I went to the bathroom. When I got to got the bathroom no cum came out and I even checked 15 minutes later by sticking my finger into my vagina but it was just a little bit of my own cum.

I had a HIV DNA by RT PCR test done 4.5 days after possible exposure and I had an HIV antibody 1/2 and Western Blot done 25 days after possible exposure and all tests were negative. Do I need to test again, was my exposure high or low?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 19 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Its possible that the condom slipped and if your partner is HIV positive, and you have some lesions in your vagina, there's still a chance of transmission.
The antibody tests for HIV take about 3 months to become positive. SO you would need to be tested with the antibody tests 3 months after exposure. If its negative, you need to be re-tested at 6 months. The test that needs to be done is ELISA. If its positive, you need to follow up with a Western Blot.
As far as the PCR is concerned, it becomes positive 2-3 weeks after exposure.
So you would need to decide the tests depending on when you were exposed. The level of exposure cannot be commented upon since we do not know if the guy was HIV positive, and whether you or he had any active lesions.
In this period, you have to ensure that you are not exposed to anything that can possibly transmit HIV.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you have any more questions
I hope I have addressed your concerns
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. RT PCR test showed negative. Should I get tested again? 10 minutes later
I didn't have any active lesions and based on the CDC guidelines they say that you can get tested at 25 days which I did with the Elisa anitbody 1/2 test and the western blot test. So I'm a little concerned your statement. I was also told that 95% of people will test positive by 3 weeks, is that not true?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 hours later
I would agree that most of the people do develop antibodies at 2-8 weeks ( on an average of 25 days ). but please also note, that if these tests are negative, we re-test at 3 months and 6 months in order to be sure. Secondly, if the ELISA is negative, we dont get a western blot done. So getting a Western Blot at 25 days was not required.
The active lesions that I am talking about would be small bruises or cuts in your vaginal mucosa, things that it is very difficult to be aware about.
Thus, since we do not know the severity off exposure, I would suggest that you get re-tested at 3 months after exposure. This is so as 97% of the people develop antibodies within the 1st 3 months. This is what the CDC guidelines recommend.
Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor