Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

152 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Had unprotected sex. Noticed stringy mucus discharge. Could it be infection or pregnancy?

Answered by
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1778 Questions

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: Hi

I feel as though I'm wet in the genital area and when I go to check myself my underwear is dry. I suffer from yeast infections so I worry that is what I'm experiencing. Also I don't see a discharge. No stain. Nothing. Recently, I engaged in sexual activity with my bf, five days after my period ended. The condom broke and I didnt see the need to get the morning after, until a day after, I notices a stringy mucus like discharge. So I'm wondering if I'm having another yeast infection or pregnancy. I have no itching or foul smell.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

The symptoms experiencing are not suggestive of yeast infection.

You should better check for urine pregnancy test only if you miss a period. Your query does not have mention about the menstrual period.

Mucus discharge that is stringy is normal in most women. However pregnancy is first to be ruled out.

Hope this answers you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 hours later
My menstrual cycle was from Dec 22 to 26, and prior to that I had taken a pregnancy blood test and it was negative. So I don't know what my body is doing. In addition, I've taken a sti test and those test were negative. My doctor has told me that I have yeast in my body and have prescribe sporasac. She came to that conclusion when I told her that I see a little white stuff on my stool but I feel like I'm suffering with a yeast constantly. I've changed my diet and have even started eating raw garlic. I'm just frustrated.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 21 hours later

I apologize with the delay.

Yeast is uncommon in the stool. I suggest you get a stool microscopy test done and same time a vaginal fluid microscopy to get the exact diagnosis. Next time you XXXXXXX your doctor you can ask for the same to confirm yeast. Let me remind you that yeast can be normal flora of the vagina. When it increases and creates problems like redness, itch and excessive soaking of the pads then it needs treatment. You had not complained of any in your original query. Were your yeast infections confirmed by lab examinations? Please do not get unnecessarily treated. You may continue the Sporasac.

Since you had not missed periods you do not need to think of pregnancy now.

So your only bothering complaint is feeling wet inside the vagina even though the underwear is dry. It may not be disease at all. In fact you can XXXXXXX a specialist OBGYN if not done yet.

Hope this will give you a good direction.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Candidiasis

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am going to schedual a doctors appointment, but I am just freaking out because I think I could possibly have herpes.. I have only had 4 sex partners.. I m 25, female.. I assumed it was a yeast infection or uti.. but now i m not sure.. It started the day after I shaved down their with a new razor.. so i assumed it was a razor burn/ possible cut.. the next couple days it was very itchy.. but that is common after i shave while hair is growing back.. it also would burn when I d wipe.. it was right by the opening of the vagina.. both sides.. after about 4 days it seems like it was getting better.. each day a little better until it really didn t hurt much at all aout 6 or 7 days later, excep on one side.. finally i got a mirror and looked and i saw a cut.. which i dunno if it was from shaving or what.. by this time i decided it was probably a yeast infection since i was having discharge.. but it was a runny white discharge. I m not exactly sure but after looking online on yeast infecting sites one person said it may be herpes so i researched it.. it was the furthest thing from my mind.. but it turns out.. I m scared it could be.. is their a chance it isn t herpes and its just from shaving or yeast infection.. the other thing.. that is confusing is my urine; unless i drink tons of fluids, is stong in ordor and a little foggy.. which led to me think uti..

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am hesitant to get checked but am thinking of doing so now that its been almost a week. I have been dealing with a severe yeast infection which I been trying to get rid of with duflican and the one similar to it I had the two treament first then it didnt work and was on the 7 day treatment also tried 3day monistat and acidophilis pills my male partner was having cracked foreskin and some burning sensation while in intercourse I am now doing monistat 7 day and he is on antifungal cream the cracking has improved but continues to have burning sensation this has lasted way to long should we get sti tested Help!?

doctor1 MD

I have been experiencing pain and soreness for about eight months or more around my vulva area. Last week after intercourse with my husband of 31 years, my clitoris is in pain and still enlarged. I started a sulpha antibiotic last Friday for cellulitis I got from a bee sting. I thought it was a yeast infection and did a one day treatment and it doesn t seem to have helped. Any ideas?

doctor1 MD

I have been having a problem for quite a while now where I will come on my period and as I m comin off or after I come off, I experience this same itchy discomfort. Mainly on the inside of my vagina. It is quite like thrush but it never lasts long enough to be thrush. It is not constantly itchy but close to it. I have looked at my vagina and on the inside there is blatant lumps and the skin just inside the opening is really rough. I have been getting a weird discharge where I get loads of clumps of white cottage cheese like discharge. I have washed. I use non perfumes soaps and every time I ve seen a gynaecologist they haven t ever seen anything strange like it so I m guessing the bumps come and go. It also feels quite swollen on the inside. The vulva is quite sore and and raw from itching. Just need some sort of answers as I am going to a gynaecologist tomorro while I still have symptoms. Just been panicking as I ve been hearing about vulva cancer. Thank you

doctor1 MD

I had a left side stroke on the brain. Previously I had a TIA . It was two months later that I experienced the stroke . I was prescribed blood pressure pills, baby aspirin and cholesterol pills when I had the TIA.[ several hours in a U.S. hospital...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am a 36 year old overweight female. Recently I've had twitching on the tip of my tongue as well as burning mouth. I went to the doctor who said I had low vitamin d which I started taking. My tongue kept twitching and I freaked out after...

doctor1 MD

Worried about candidiasis I am 31 smoker, recently I was under extreme stress During this period I developed what looks like viral pharyngitis / sinusitis I do suffer with allergic sinusitis in the past Anyway during that period of sinusitis I...