Had unprotected sex. Noticed stringy mucus discharge. Could it be infection or pregnancy?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: Hi

I feel as though I'm wet in the genital area and when I go to check myself my underwear is dry. I suffer from yeast infections so I worry that is what I'm experiencing. Also I don't see a discharge. No stain. Nothing. Recently, I engaged in sexual activity with my bf, five days after my period ended. The condom broke and I didnt see the need to get the morning after, until a day after, I notices a stringy mucus like discharge. So I'm wondering if I'm having another yeast infection or pregnancy. I have no itching or foul smell.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

The symptoms experiencing are not suggestive of yeast infection.

You should better check for urine pregnancy test only if you miss a period. Your query does not have mention about the menstrual period.

Mucus discharge that is stringy is normal in most women. However pregnancy is first to be ruled out.

Hope this answers you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 hours later
My menstrual cycle was from Dec 22 to 26, and prior to that I had taken a pregnancy blood test and it was negative. So I don't know what my body is doing. In addition, I've taken a sti test and those test were negative. My doctor has told me that I have yeast in my body and have prescribe sporasac. She came to that conclusion when I told her that I see a little white stuff on my stool but I feel like I'm suffering with a yeast constantly. I've changed my diet and have even started eating raw garlic. I'm just frustrated.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 21 hours later

I apologize with the delay.

Yeast is uncommon in the stool. I suggest you get a stool microscopy test done and same time a vaginal fluid microscopy to get the exact diagnosis. Next time you XXXXXXX your doctor you can ask for the same to confirm yeast. Let me remind you that yeast can be normal flora of the vagina. When it increases and creates problems like redness, itch and excessive soaking of the pads then it needs treatment. You had not complained of any in your original query. Were your yeast infections confirmed by lab examinations? Please do not get unnecessarily treated. You may continue the Sporasac.

Since you had not missed periods you do not need to think of pregnancy now.

So your only bothering complaint is feeling wet inside the vagina even though the underwear is dry. It may not be disease at all. In fact you can XXXXXXX a specialist OBGYN if not done yet.

Hope this will give you a good direction.