Had unprotected sex. Missing periods. HPT negative. Prescribed miprate 10mg. Any suggestion?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: Hello doctor...!

I am 21 year old and I had my last period on 11 oct and I had intercourse on 19th oct with protection but then he just put his penis with condom for a sec and removed it and then we did it with condom.... An. It's sec 18th an. I still didn't get my period... I have taken 3 pregnancy tests at home after 10 days of missed period and all were negative.... And normally my menstual cycle is of 35-40 days.... I went to the gynaecologist and she gave me miprate 10mg 3 times for 3 days... And if I get my period after this that means I am not pregnant right?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 minutes later

The negative points for pregnancy in your case are:
-You had intercourse on 9th day of your menstrual cycle. Usually ovulation will not occur around that day in case of 35 to 40 days cycle.
-You used protection.
-Pregnancy tests were negative.
-Periods can get delayed due to hormonal fluctuation.
The positive point for pregnancy in your case are:
-Sometimes pre-ejaculate fluid can contain spermatozoa.

So by taking all points into consideration, the chance of pregnancy is very less in your case.
You can take the tablets given by your doctor.
And yes, if you get period after taking the tablets it indicates absence of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
If at all I dont get my periods even after taking the medicines does that mean I am pregnant? And if at all I am then how many months that could be and can I go for normal abortion through pill?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later

Absence of withdrawal bleeding after progesterone tablets will not confirm the pregnancy.
Because delay or absence of periods can occur due to many causes like thyroid hormonal abnormalities, poly cystic ovary disease etc.
So if you do not get periods even one week after completion of tablets, better to go for ultrasound once to rule out the possibility of pregnancy.
If that confirms intrauterine pregnancy, you can go for medical termination with pills till 8 weeks or 2 months of pregnancy.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later
Thank you so much for the valuable advice.... And I don't see any pregnancy symptoms till date that is from oct11th (my last period)....if at all I am pregnant that is the worst case then how many months pregnant I might be? Oh god I am tensed..... Last question after taking my medicines can I have a pregnancy test at home and get the correct result? I.e is that appropriate and shows me the correct result? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

According to your last menstrual period, if at all pregnancy is there then the gestational age could be around 2 months.
Yes, you can take pregnancy test after taking tablets also.
Tablets won't affect the result of the test.
But don't worry the chance of pregnancy is very less in your case.