Had unprotected sex. Having sore throat, fever and body pain. Chances of HIV?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello,
I had an unprotected sexual relation with a women about 2 to 3 months ago. About 2 days ago I start with a very sore throat, 100 fever, headache and my body aching everywhere, i went to my primary doctor he prescribed me azytrhomicin (antibiotic) and tylenol for the pain. After my first day of taking medicine i noticed improvement sorethroat got better and no fever or headache, just some running mocus from the back of my throat. Also lately I been experiencing some breakouts on my skin not many but a few here and there on my back and chest. Im afraid that this can be HIV symptoms . Can you please help me out based on your experience as a Doctor.

Thanks

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
The symptoms you are describing can be due to bacterial infection and not HIV.
Also I would like to know-
Have you undergone HIV testing?
Is there pain/itching in the skin lesions?
Do you have any oral or genital ulcer?
Is there fever/ swollen neck gland ?
Diarrhoea/ weight loss / cough?
Can you upload photos of the affected area?
Photos can help a lot in predicting the condition.

Answer the above questions and upload the photographs and we can continue the discussion here.

Dr XXXXXXX
MD dermatologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 35 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for getting back to me

Have you undergone HIV testing? NO

Is there pain/itching in the skin lesions? SOMETIMES

Do you have any oral or genital ulcer? NO

Is there fever/ swollen neck gland ? I JUST GOT FEVER ONE DAY ONLY AND SWOLLEN NECK GLAND SMALL ONE ON THE LEFT

Diarrhoea/ weight loss / cough? I HAVE DIARRHEA YESTERDAY AND TODAY ONLY ONCE A DAY - NO WEIGHT LOSS - COUGH A LITTLE ONLY

IM UPLOADING PICTURES

THANKS FOR YOUR PROFESSIONAL HELP :)
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for the details and images.
The skin rash is more or less a viral exanthem which has followed the infection you had.It is a flu like illness.
The symptoms do not appear to be due to HIV.
You can take tab.Zyrtec twice daily and apply calamine lotion over affected area.
It will help a lot.
Your symptoms no way indicate HIV or related illness.There is nothing to be worried about.
If you need any further clarification do let me know.

Regards.
Hope this helps.
DrSud