Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. Having abdominal pain and started spotting. Pregnancy test done. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14964 Questions
I thought I started my period a couple of days late but it was pinkish and than stopped for a day. NOW, I use the restroom and it is brown when I wipe and very light. I took a hpt yesterday and bfn, so I guess this would rule out pregnancy. My last period was 2/3. I also have lower abdominal pain. I had unprotected sex a day before ovalution on 2/17.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible to conceive any time during the menstrual cycle particularly in the time around ovulation.
The urine pregnancy tests are usually accurate, they detect the level of HCG in the urine, some can detect lower levels than others and are called early detection kits. Most can detect HCG by day 12 to 14 after conception, though this can vary. If you were sexually active 17th of Feb, this would be 23 days and the test should give an accurate result if done well.

The brown discharge is likely to be old blood.
Lower abdominal pain can be related to the reproductive organs, the bladder or rarely the intestines. You may want to monitor it to see if it changes in intensity or if any additional symptoms develop that may pinpoint its causative location.

There are other causes of delayed or slight bleeding such as physical or emotional stress, inadequate nutrition, hormonal abnormalities such as a low thyroid levels or high levels of prolactin, PCOS which stands for polycystic ovarian syndrome.

You may want to consider repeating the pregnancy test after a few days to ensure that it is negative.
If the result is negative then you may want to consider waiting till your next period is due to see if it is normal , if not consider visiting your doctor for an assessment if possible.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor