Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. HIV test result showed out stating (non-reative). Should I go for the test again?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
Had unprotected sex eight weeks ago and went for HIV testing last week, test results came out stating (non-reative) The Doctor said I must consider re-testing again after three months. What are the chances that I might test positive after three months or is the first test a good indication that I'am really negative?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for your health concerns.

The meaning of the first test is still debatable since you might have been on the window period in which antibodies have not been produced to detectable levels (seroconversion). The highest yield is to repeat the HIV screening 6 months after the risky encounter; by then the enormous vast majority of patients that convert will show up.

Hope this helps, wish you the best, safe sex first!

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Department of Medicine
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor