Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. Feeling aches in neck, nasal drop and headache. Have chest pain and phlegm. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
Hi, I am sure you get an over worried individual who believes they may have come into contact with the HIV virus well I am one of them. About 10 days ago I came into contact with a woman who I wore no protection with. During intercourse she had mentioned how promiscuous she's been in her life. At that point I began getting very nervous. Within 1 week I felt aches in my neck which continues but has subsided somewhat. I have a nasal drip toward the back of my throat a little neck and lower head pain and slept a little longer than usual during the day on the 8th day and 9th day post possible exposure. I sweat at night, but Ido that quite a bit it is still a little scary. I also have these little white dots on the inside of my lip towards the corner perhaps granules. I have had no fever no rash but I am itching a little bit could be dew to getting my back shaved and some stomach pain and diarrhea, oh and some chest pain and coughing with some phlegm. I am thinking of getting a PCR test please help me thank you
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 days later
Thanks for writing in.
As you had exposure 10 days ago,its too early to have any symptoms.
After HIV exposure usually it takes atleast 3 weeks for seroconversion. After three weeks symptoms like fever ,skin rash, sore throat,muscle aches ,lymph node enlargement occur.
So at this stage there is unlikely that you have symptoms related to HIV.
Also PCR test is very reliable and confirmatory but it is better if taken at 28 days post exposure.
If the symptoms do not go away in day or two you should visit your primary physician for appropriate treatment and evaluation.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Dermatology, STD,HIV expert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor