Had unprotected sex. Elisa test and hiv dna pcr test showed negative. Am I at any risk?

Dr. P V S Prasad

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello Doctor,

First, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I had an unfortunate incident occur toward the end of July 2011 -- possible exposure to HIV. I tested for HIV with the Oraquick rapid test in XXXXXXX of 2012, then again in October of 2012 with the same test -- both results negative. I still was not convinced, so I had a full STD panel run with an Elisa Test and HIV DNA PCR test -- everything either came back negative or nonreactive. These test were also run in October 2012 -- over one year from the possible exposure. I am having a difficult time moving passed this incident. Is it safe for me, at this point, to move forward and conclusively eliminate any thoughts of having HIV or an STD from that particular incident? Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my question
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 29 minutes later
Hi
Thanks.for yourquery from your.history and investigation reports it is clear that you.have not contracted HIV infection. It is evident that you are only apprehensive.
Hiv tests if negative after three months you may definitely consider free of infection. In your case even after one year it is negative. So don't worry.
If you are still not convinced you may cosult a psychiatrist ans take anti anxiolytics.
I hope you are covinced.
Have a good day
Prasad