Had unprotected sex. Delayed periods and negative pregnancy test. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Please let me know as soon as possible dat I had sex with my boyfriend before 6days of my menses.n as m late for 1day I m so worried n going to take pills like regestrone.bt there z menses.and my home pregnancy test isnegative which is after 8 days of sex. And after dat m going to take combination of mifepristone and misoprostol. N after dat I start a little bleed n nothing else.so I want to ask is every thing al right or m pregnant.please reply me as soon as possible m so worried.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Negative pregnancy test? Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Firstly, if you had unprotected sex 6 days before your menses were due, you should have been in your safe period. Pregnancy shouldn't have been an issue. If your pregnancy test was negative after 1 day of delayed menses, then there is no need to take any drugs at present. Please don't take mifepristone without a positive pregnancy test and without medical supervision. You could be late due to various reasons like hormonal imbalance or stress. With a negative test, you are not pregnant. Don't take any more drugs now. Wait for your body to be naturally regular again. My advice would be to use a regular form of contraception like oc pills. There are several in the market and it will save you un-necessary worry like this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 56 minutes later
if urein pregnancy test is negative then it is sure m not pregnant. how reliable is dis? bleed after mifepristone is sign of miscarriage.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: UPT is accurate Detailed Answer: Urine pregnancy test being negative, is usually almost 98% accurate these days. The quality of tests available these days in the market is good ans sensitive to detect early pregnancy. If you have taken the whole mtp kit, there will be some withdrawal bleeding. If there was was a complete abortion, it should have bleed more,at least like a period.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later
means without being pregnant little bleeding is normal after taking mifepristone.n UPT can only done in mrng or can be used at anytime. wat r side effect of mifepristone if m not pregnant.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: upt canbe done at anytime Detailed Answer: Morning sample of urine is preferred but can be done anytime . If you have taken a single dose of mifepristone this time then there should be no lasting side effects . And yes some bleeding will happen du to the misoprostol . You can repeat the urine test again if you wish .but do it after a few days .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad