Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected sex. Consumed unwanted 72. Got early periods. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12758 Questions
hello doctor. dr i had unprotected sex on the 4rth day of my cycle, thereafter i consumed unwanted 72 the same day itself...within hours itself. Today it will be the 31st day since i got my period last month..means i am 3 days up.. and i have not got my period. i am very worried..usually also i dont get my periods on the 28th day itself..but still....please tell me what should i do? in no case i thot of getting pregnant, that is why i thot of having sex in the days immediately after having my periods.
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The day 4 of your cycle is a relatively less fertile period and ovulation is not likely in a 28-day regular cycle. Since you took Unwanted 72 within 24 hours of having the sex, the chances of pregnancy are even lesser ( less than 1%).
The delay in your periods is a side effect of the emergency contraceptive pill. This delay can be related to stress and anxiety also. You need to wait for at least one week more for your periods to start spontaneously. To be double sure, you can test your urine for pregnancy using the kit available over the counter.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Consumed unwanted 72. Got early periods. What can be done? 16 minutes later
so does that mean that i should'nt worry at all? :)....also doctor please let me know the name of any easily available kit. and how and when to use it?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
Please do not worry as the chances of pregnancy are almost nil.
If your pregnancy test comes positive and you want an abortion with medicines then there are kits for abortion available which you can get on a doctor's prescription. It is best to use these kits under the expert guidance of a gynaecologist as such kits are often associated with complications like excessive bleeding and incomplete abortion. You will have to search a gynaecologist near your place for guidance.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex. Consumed unwanted 72. Got early periods. What can be done? 8 minutes later
thank you doctor.. but you dint tell me the name of the kit and how to use it.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Normally Ru486(mifepristone) is given in combination with misoprostol for medical termination of pregnancy.

-after taking first pill containing mifepristone, the next two tablets containing misoprostol should be taken after 24 hours generally.

-by this bleeding will start usually in 12 hours after the course and pregnancy will terminate within 24 hours.
This drug is to be taken under Medical Supervision as it can cause serious effects as nausea,vomitting,fever,pain and sometimes incomplete abortion can also occur causing the remnants to remain.

Mifepristone is recommended drug of choice for abortion under 7 weeks so please check with the local doctor and obtain prescription.

Also after taking these drugs a thorough evaluation and USG scan is recommended to check for complete evacuation of products.

Women also experience heavy bleeding after the drug and if uncontrolled it can lead to dizziness and fatigue. Please consider visiting a Gynaecologist for evaluation and then take it under her supervision.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor