Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected oral sex. When should I get tested for STD in throat?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I went to the doctors today to be tested for std its only been 2 days shy of three weeks since I had unprotected oral sex so my question is, if I have any std's in my throat will they show by now? and also if she only did blood test and a vaginal swap would that show for my throat also?
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Yes if STD in the throat it would show by now if it is a disease with local manifestations like gonorrhoea, chancroid etc, but there are others like hepatitis B,C or HIV which take time to manifested and are tested in blood sample and take about 10weeks to be manifested.
The samples of Gram stain and cultures should be taken from Throat in your case and vaginal sample would not be helpful.
Blood tests for Syphilis, Hep. B/C, HIV is okay at appropriate timings.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor