Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected oral sex. Took antigen test using ELFA, tridot test and all negative. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
Hi doc,

I am a male and had unprotected oral with a massage girl. I went down to her. After 49 days I took p24 antigen test using ELFA method. The value was 0.11 which says negative (positive if > 0.25). I was not sure if the above test check for antibodies, so I took tridot test on 52nd day. the test was negative. Post took tridot antibody test on 10th and 12.5 weeks. Both were negative. I am safe from HIV? Please reply
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your safety needs another test at six months post

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXXX ! I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

The chances of someone getting HIV infection depends on the HIV status or high risk behaviour of his partner. In your case possibly you are not aware of the HIV status of your partner, but she will come into a high risk category due to her profession and possible similar behavior with her other customers as well whose HIV status might not be known.

Also the antibodies to HIV infection takes time to develop in the blood, and before this the test results may be negative. This latent period after which the test may become positive is known as window period. The window period usually is considered to be three months, but it may be extended to six months in some type of tests used in different labs.

Therefore, even if your chances of getting HIV infection is remote on the present negative report after three months of exposure, I would suggest you to go for another test at six months to be doubly sure.

Now, even if the test result after six months comes out to be negative, I would advise you not to risk yourself again with any kind of high risk behavior, or any kind of unprotected sex for your own safety because nothing can be said about the HIV status or sexual behavior of any unknown sexual partner you encounter with.

I hope I have answered your query. However, if you have got any other question, please free to ask.

Thanks for using XXXXXXX portal for your health query. Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Took antigen test using ELFA, tridot test and all negative. Suggest? 24 hours later
dear doc,

what I learnt from internet is that either the body should have antigens or antibodies if the person is infected. in my case I took p24 antigen test at around 7 weeks and immediately antibody test in 3 days. so my question is at that time atleast one (antigen or antibody) could have detected but both were negative. post that at 12.5 weeks again antibody was negative.

Do you still suspect it may change to positive?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Retest is still advisable to be sure and safe.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX ! Thanks for your response.

As I have already mentioned, I stand by my opinion that you should repeat the test at 6 months duration to be doubly sure. The p24 antigen test though is a very specific test for the HIV infection in its early stages, the sensitvity of the test is not 100%. A negative test does not rule out actively replicating virus in human body due to very many conditions. So, review test at regular interval is advised specially after 6 months and if this comes out to be negative, you can presume yourself to be HIV free. However, as per my previous statement, you should always take precautions as mentioned by me earlier.

Thanks and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor