Had unprotected oral sex. No cuts, sores on penis. Negative hiv pcr quantitative test. Any thoughts?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I recieved an unprotected oral sex 38 days back. I was only the reciever and the incident happened for like 30 secs. I took a HIV PCR real time QUANTITATIVE TEST after 30 days and the result came as "less than detection limit". What does this mean? Can i take these results as confirmatory and move on in life. I am very confused. Pls advice. I dont have any hiv symptoms and also any cuts or sores in my penis.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 37 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you have told that you received the oral sex. Here, the chance of transmission is through saliva. But, most importantly, HIV is not found in saliva. The hypothesis is that, the antimicrobial action of enzymes found in saliva prevents secretion of virus. So, you have very low chance of getting infected only from this oral sex.

But, if you have done sex without condom, then you have really high chance of getting infected.

The PCR result indicates either absence of the infection or presence of infection in lower than the level that can be detected through PCR.

As, you really have very low chance of getting infected, this test indicates possibility of absence of virus. You have to understand that a negative PCR does not imply that you do not have infection. It is very complicated.

HIV infection may get activated anytime during 2 to 3 years. But, a negative Elisa test after 6 months from the day of exposure indicates possibility of absence of the infection.

So, it would be better to do an Elisa test after 6 months from the day of exposure.

And, it would better to avoid any type of unprotected sex in future.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 5 minutes later
so i shouldnt have sex for my entire life and I can get infected at any time in life?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 23 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, i did not mean to say that you should not have sex for your entire life.

Here, i wanted to say that you should avoid unprotected sex with unknown person with unknown HIV status. Even before marriage, it is mandatory to do a HIV screening of both the couple.

So, you can have unprotected sex with your wife. Monogamous relationship of both the couple prevents any type of sexually transmitted disease.

If you have sexual relationship with multiple partner, then you can get infected by HIV at any time of your life.

Hope, you have your answer.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 3 minutes later
Since i am exposed only to the saliva of the women. What are my chances of getting infected with a undetectable PCR RNA test?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, i have already told you that after receiving unprotected oral sex and after having this type of PCR report, you really have very low chance of getting infected by HIV.

Hope, you have your answers.

Regards.