Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected intercourse during periods. What are the chances of getting HIV?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
hello i am 29 yrs old man i had done unprotected sex with street sex worker before 32 days ago. i had only veginal sex with her that time i noticed that she hav monthly period after having sex and i ask her about that she told me it was her last 5 days after happen.. i work outside away from my home finally i went home and i had sex with my wife after 5days.. and i am extremly scared for geting hiv from my mistake sence having sex i didnt feel any kind of symptoms of hiv but before about 5 or 6 days ago my wife is suffering from caught in her throat after few days she had diarrhia and vomiting last for the only 1 time at morning now this time she got bumps like pimples in her forehead and about her monthly period its on time first day she had more bleeding more than usual only for 1 time now its ok with same as usual sir plez help me out from this situation i am tottaly broke and worried i even ask her for hiv test.. i am surviving my poor nights evryday..
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 25 minutes later
Thank you for posting query.

Firstly, the duration between the two sexual acts is 5 days. If you have sex with your wife for only one time which you have mentioned, then it is very unusual to get infected by HIV within this short time period. For one moment, if I assume that the sex worker was HIV positive, then also minimum 15 to 20 days are required for getting infected properly by HIV. You are the mediator. So, your wife has less chance of getting infected. But your chance is very high. But, if you have sex with your wife many times within this time period, then she is also exposed to the chance of getting infected.

The symptoms of your wife indicates presence of a viral infection which is most common in these days. It may be coincidental. But she also have to be tested for HIV as usual.

If you knew that there was chance of HIV infection, you could go to ART Centre for starting a course of post exposure prophylaxis. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

Now, you have to do the followings –
1.     Immediately do HIV1 &2 Elisa test of both you and your wife.
2.     If the tests show negative result, do a p24 protein assay.
3.     If, the above tests are negative, then do a DNA PCR test.
4.     If all are negative, repeat HIV1&2 Elisa should be done after 3 and 6 months.
5.     For your information, if you escape from getting infected this time, you must use condom during sexual act with sex worker in future.
6.     For the above tests, first consult with the ICTC department of local SD hospital. Then for P24 and DNA PCR, consult with the Tropical School of Medicine in Kolkata.
7.     For you wife, you should consult with a general physician, for thorough clinical examination and for prescribing a good antibiotic.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse during periods. What are the chances of getting HIV? 31 minutes later
thank you for your concern sir i am highly greatfull to you,
sir recently now i am in my duty in that period i am staying with my wife for 18 days together and having sex not more than 10 times, so is there is any doubt for infected to her.. and from my side i dont hav any kind of symptoms which is mantioned in hiv sence today.. i feel like i am before and i am highly build strong and healthy man as usual.. its been totaly 1 month dat i had been sex with that sex worker so please suggest me that how many weeks, months are required to appear hiv symptoms?????? please suggest!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, in many cases the patient does not show any symptom. The HIV positivity sometimes becomes an incidental finding. It is commonly seen in our clinical practice.

For your information symptoms of HIV which we know may even appear after 6 months.

So, do the tests as I previously told.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse during periods. What are the chances of getting HIV? 24 hours later
hello sir, is back side pain is the one of the symptoms of hiv??? sir please suggest me about the back side pain.. thank you
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.
No, back side pain is not a sign of HIV infection.
For back pain, you should take nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs like paracetamol or aceclofenac tablet. Before taking that you have to take pantoprazole group of drug for hyperacidity.
Consult an orthopedics surgeon for further investigation,and management.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse during periods. What are the chances of getting HIV? 29 minutes later
hello sir, it was not jst a back pain as my wife told me, its paining in right side of her shoulder's back side, but often she have gastric probluem and its used to pain like now as before,,, so is it a symptoms then how long it last for?? i was staying about 17 days with my wife after having sex with sexworker and i am litle bit confused that i hav not got any kind of symptoms at all.. sir please i am really scared please help me out of this situation.. thank you
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 54 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, do not panic. Cool down.

Look, as I previously told you, you may not have your symptoms till 6 months even if you have the disease. So, thinking of symptoms does not give you any relief.

All you have to do is just do the tests as I previously mentioned. Only a negative Elisa result after 6 months can give you relief more than anything. Before that a negative p24 assay result is also important.

So, follow my instructions.

As far as your wife's back pain is concerned, it may be due to any cause. But NOT DUE TO HIV infection. IT IS NOT A SYMPTOM OF HIV INFECTION.

back pain is a non specific symptom of many diseases. So, she has to be examined for the search of the cause. For this it is better to consult with an orthopedics. Because, in our clinical experience, in most of the cases, musculoskeletal problem is the main cause. For this an orthopedic surgeon is perfect.

Lastly, do not get upset, just do the tests and follow the other instructions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor