Had unprotected intercourse. Started bleeding. Should I take pill to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Question: Hi need a emergency gynecological help.
I had sex on 01.12.2012 at around 1.30 am(IST). I was about to take i-pill on the very next morning. But my menstruation had been started on that morning.I have not taken pill till now. Now its 6.10 pm. on 03/12/2012. 72 hours is going to be over within few hours. What should I do now? Should I take the pill to avoid pregnancy or its no of use? Please help immediately.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 4 hours later

As you had the menstrual bleed the next morning [within 12 hours], the chances of you becoming pregnant are very less to zero. So there is no need to take I-pill.

I hope I have been helpful. Let me know if you have other concerns.

With best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad