Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected intercourse. Missing periods. What medicine should be taken?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
hi, my wife has irregular periods this month, it has been 1 week she didn't get her periods. What tablet should i give to her to get period? We had unprotected sex on 26th Oct. Please suggest her a tablet...
We had unprotected sex but i had not ejected in her uterus.
Can see use 'mensovit plus' tablet for getting periods? Plz reply me ASAP.
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Thanks for the query.

Though you didn't ejaculated during intercourse sometimes pre-ejaculate fluid contains spermatozoa, so better to rule out pregnancy before using tablets.
Once consult gynecologist and let your wife undergo pregnancy test.
If that comes negative, doctor will examine your wife to find out the possible cause for delayed periods.
If needed she may advice one ultrasound. With this primary workup the cause can be made out and treatment can be given.
Though mensovit tablet is said to regularize the periods better to use the tablets only after getting examined as delayed periods can occur due to many causes like anemia, weight changes, stress and strain, thyroid hormonal abnormalities etc.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected intercourse. Missing periods. What medicine should be taken? 11 hours later
Now I am not at her place. I am far out of the city and can't take her to the doctor. Plz suggest a tablet so that she will be good with no side effects.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later

As I told before it is not good to use the tablets without ruling out the pregnancy. If there is pregnancy and she uses tablets for withdrawal bleeding that can affect the fetus.
So let her undergo urine pregnancy test once and if that comes negative she can go for tablets for withdrawal bleeding.
Tablets to be used only after getting examined by doctor then only her condition can be evaluated and suitable tablets can be given.
If no other cause is there for delayed periods except hormonal imbalance, she can go for progesterone tablets like deviry or regesterone etc with doctor's advice to induce withdrawal bleeding.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor