Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected anal sex. How to get post exposure prophylaxis treatment?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
how to ask doctor for Post Exposure Prophylaxis treatment. I had anal sex last night and the the guy slip the condom off inside me. When I notice the condom was off I stop having sex immediately. I was able to remove the condom from my rectum a few hours later. I don't know the status of this person and feel really embarrassed about this. I am HIV negative tested a few week ago. How do I ask the doctor about using a PEP treatment I am really nervous this has never happen to me before? Do you think I don't need to ask for PEP
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 31 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, the situation you described indicates a real chance of exposure. It is better to go for post exposure prophylaxis. Start it within 72 hours.

The drugs required for traditional post exposure prophylaxis are zidovudine, lamivudine and indinavir. But, you know, these drugs are hard to tolerate. But, you have to. So, be prepared for that. After taking these medicines you may feel very nauseous, then you should take ondansetron group of drugs along with taking a pantoprazole group of drug regularly.

But, in some conditions some other antiretroviral agents are also considered. Like, in the situation of hypersensitivity to the drugs mentioned previously. Some newer drugs like antianchoring agents are also coming into clinical trial.

So, the regimen will be determined by the prescribing doctor, depending upon the situations arises.

Do not get nervous any more. Think one thing that it will reduce the chance of getting infected by more than 90%. Just go to any general physician, and tell everything you told me and tell that you want to take the post exposure prophylaxis. That will be enough. But, you have to do it within 72 hours.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected anal sex. How to get post exposure prophylaxis treatment? 9 minutes later
Thanks but what do I tell the nurse or front desk people I don't want tell them at the urgent health clinic in front of everyone. What can I say I just would like to see the Doctor?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, you just go to the urgent health clinic and tell the front desk people or nurse, that you have issues regarding HIV and you want to consult with the doctor confidentially. Try to understand that you have to tell minimum 'issues regarding HIV', otherwise, they will not understand the cause of confidentiality.

It is medical ethics to talk with patients like you confidentially. So, do not worry, you do not have to tell anything to nurse or front desk people.

Hope you have your answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor