Had unprotected anal sex. Having slightly swollen throat. Am I at risk of HIV infection?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: i am very nervous about a recent unsafe sexual encounter i had. it was not full blown anal sex with the guy, but i was very intense grinng and a little "stabbing" of his penis against my anus. we didnt have "penetration" perse but it is possible his head pushed inside me a little. i dont know if he had precum, i didnt see any. my conern here is two fold: 1) i appeared to have some hemeroids that night, i saw a little blood on the toilet tissue. i have had this for a few weeks. so i am doubly worried that the pre cum could simply have exposed to the blod there. secondly. it is possible as i said that his penis, which was uncircumsized, may have pushed in a little. its been 18 days and i today has a slightly swollen throat, which of course has me panicked. i just need to know how much risk i am at, and how soon i can get tested. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
To confirm that you have not caught the infection, you will have to wait for atleast two weeks and then get yourself tested. You will have to then retest every 3 months for atleast 6 months to confirm that you are totally safe.
Though you should avoid sex without protection, but it is not necessary that every friend of yours is suffering with HIV.

HIV can be transmitted only if your partner is suffering with it.

As there was no penetration, chances of transmission of HIV are very very poor.

HIV is the name of virus only, and disease (Aids) takes many years to develop. Thus the throat swelling that you noticed is not due to it.

Though there are no chances, you should get HIV tested after 3 months for surety.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later
thank you. any concern from the fact that i aparently had anal fissures from hemmeroids? an hour after the encouter i did notice a small amout of blood on the toilet paper after wiping. so my concern is that precum could have come into contact with the open anal fissures outside of the anus. thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the precum comes in contact with an open anal fissure then the chances of transmission do increase many fold. It is best to get yourself tested to be sure.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.