Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Had ultrasound report with LFT, found enlarged fatty liver and high tiglyceride, SGOT and SGPT. Suggest?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6503 Questions
When i have done my ultrasound report with LFT, it was found enlarged fatty liver with high triglyceride 212mg/dl sgot 127u/l sgpt 71u/l, please suggest am i stepping to siosis?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please write about your present problem in detail

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Enlarged fatty liver can be due to many causes. You have not mentioned the size and grade of fatty infiltration. That would have given me a better insight into the ultrasound report finding.

Coming to LFTs normal values are as below
SGPT/ ALT. 7 to 55 units per liter (U/L)
SGOT/ AST. 8 to 48 units per liter U/L

Below is the values for triglycerides.

Normal — Less than 150 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or less than 1.7 millimoles per liter (mmol/L)
Borderline high — 150 to 199 mg/dL (1.8 to 2.2 mmol/L)
High — 200 to 499 mg/dL (2.3 to 5.6 mmol/L)
Very high — 500 mg/dL or above (5.7 mmol/L or above)

You can see that SGPT and SGOT are marginally high.
Triglycerides is high.
Cirrhosis is unlikely but we need to discuss your present health problem in detail.

I would like to know the reason for doing ultrasound scan and blood tests. Do you have and condition like diabetes, high blood pressure? Do you take alcohol regularly?

Cirrhosis is a condition of irreversible liver damage and depends on many factors. Cirrhosis is an abnormal liver condition in which there is irreversible scarring of the liver. The main causes are sustained excessive alcohol consumption, viral hepatitis B and C, and fatty liver disease - however, there are many possible causes.

The initial signs of cirrhosis include the following
Blood capillaries become visible on the skin on the upper abdomen
Itchy skin
Loss of appetite
Loss of bodyweight
Pain or tenderness in the area where the liver is located
Red or blotchy palms

Please do write back with requested details with your present problems, alcohol consumption and ultrasound scan report details and we can discuss the matter further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had ultrasound report with LFT, found enlarged fatty liver and high tiglyceride, SGOT and SGPT. Suggest? 38 minutes later
Dear Sir,
Till 3month before i was a reguler drunker for past 3years. One day i got panic attack, now the problem is i got frightened and my heart beat become rapid and felling like panic and where to go what to do, hands are like squezing also both the palm of my foot paining its not like pain but when hit it paining. And in ultrsound report the size is not mentioned, only mentioned gas bowel with enlarged fatty liver.
Please note USG report said liver enlarged in size, normal contour with normal IHBR and PV, parenchyma bright. No focal or diffuse lesion seen. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please stop alcohol and have healthy food.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for a quick update,

Your ultrasound report shows only enlargement and as you have said earlier, fatty changes. If you have been having alcohol for 3 years until 3 months back, the fatty liver might be due to alcohol intake. If you have stopped your alcohol then it is a good thing. Please do not start taking alcohol as it will spoil your health.

I see many patients with history of alcohol intake who have stopped taking alcohol and are doing well. The liver fatty changes will take some time to reverse. You may consult a doctor and take medicines for your liver and multivitamins. If you continue taking alcohol then there is a possibility of having cirrhosis.

There is no need to worry for liver cirrhosis in you have stopped taking alcohol. Please have a healthy diet and fitness plan.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had ultrasound report with LFT, found enlarged fatty liver and high tiglyceride, SGOT and SGPT. Suggest? 25 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Please suggest me to reduce fat from liver.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Guidelines to reduce fat from liver

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back to us.

You may follow the following guidelines to reduce fat from liver

Lose weight. If you're overweight or obese, reduce the number of calories you eat each day and increase your physical activity in order to lose weight.

Choose a healthy diet. Eat a healthy diet that's XXXXXXX in fruits and vegetables. Reduce the amount of saturated fat in your diet and instead select healthy unsaturated fats, such as those found in fish, olive oil and nuts. Include whole grains in your diet, such as whole-wheat breads.

Exercise and be more active. Aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise most days of the week. Incorporate more activity in your day. For instance, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk instead of taking short trips in your car. If you're trying to lose weight, you might find that more exercise is helpful. But if you don't already exercise regularly, get your doctor's OK first and start slowly.

If you have diabetes then control it. Follow your doctor's instructions to stay in control of your diabetes. Take your medications as directed and closely monitor your blood sugar.

Lower your cholesterol. A healthy plant-based diet, exercise and medications can help keep your cholesterol and your triglycerides at healthy levels.

Protect your liver. Avoid things that will put extra stress on your liver. For instance, don't drink alcohol. Follow the instructions on all medications and over-the-counter drugs.

Hope your query is answered.
Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor