Owl Image

Had two open heart surgery. Was in coma. Done mitral valve repair. What is the future?

Cardiologist
Question
My husband is 67, and has had two open heart surgeries. The first one was for valve replacement, and an aneurym. He was in a coma, 9 days, after his first surgery. He had MRSA, twice, after leaving the hosptial that time. His valve began to malfunction, requiring another open heart surgery 2 1/2 years later, at USC. The doctor replaced the malfunctioning valve and did heart rate, sans pacemaker, was 43 at the doctor's office. He has to wait for the pacemaker specialist to check him out in a week. What is his prognosis, long term, with all that he's endured? Without telling him, I need to know what to expect in the future. He has always exercised on a regular basis. Thanks.
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 3 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As far as he is doing regular exercise without any problem and his pace maker and valve function is well, his long term prognosis is good.
In future he may get problem related to his valve and pace maker. So he requires being in regular follow up with regular pace maker checkup and 2 D Echo test to assess function of valve and function of left ventricle.

To guide you more, please let me know the following.

- Type of valve he was replaced with.
- Type of pace maker.
- His LV function on 2 D Echo test.
- Associated problem like hypertension, diabetes, kidney problem, liver problem, lung issue or any other medical problem.

Thank you