Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Had tummy tuck surgery. Getting abdominal pain with tightness. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I had a tummy tuck 5 weeks ago and pain is worse now than before. Can't walk far (several hundred yards if that) as pain in abdomen is awful, it feels like something is pulling and it also feels very tight. This only feels liken this on the right side as the left side is fine. Very painful when touching the right side too. I was only 8 1/2 stone before the op as it was all skin that had to be removed as I am a fit person who is desperate to get back to full fitness soon. Part of my scar on right side is inflamed and painful to touch but no weeping. I am back to see my consultant on 18/01 but concerned about the pain I am having as seem to be going backwards now. I need to be driving again but the way I feel there is no way I possibly can.
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Tummy tuck procedures involve a lot of dissection of the skin and under surface fat. Although they are considered safe. In your case, as you are suggesting that right side scar is painful and tender to touch and is also inflamed, it quit clear that there is a possible infection over that area. Infections occur mostly if any thrombus is left behind. You should immediately see your treating surgeon who may would like to examine the suture area and suggest you some antibiotics like amoxyciline or cifixime for your infected area. You may also require some pain killers like ibuprofen to reduce the pain.
You should no delay these steps as the infection, if progresses, can become bad.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
I would be happy to help you if you have any other clarification.
In case you dont need any further clarification, you may close the discussion and rate the answers accordingly and provide a review if possible.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor