Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Had tubes tied during C-section. Having heavy period, bad cramps, brown discharge. Is it PMS?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14867 Questions
Hello, I am 34yo and I had my tubes tied 4 years ago during my 6th C-section.
I normally have 3 day periods which are heavy with bad cramps, afterwards I have daily brown discharge for about a week.
Last week I noticed a litlle lump like jelly on my underpants and it was light pink, the day after I started what I assume was my period but very scanty. The scanty bleeding lasted 6 days with no cramps at all just little twinges.
I now feel very nauseous which is preventing me from wanting to eat or drink and I have a very bad taste in my mouth. I feel like Im getting the flu because I feel so tired and drained. I also feel like Im still PMSing as Im very tearful
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 49 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic
The risk of pregnancy following tubal surgery is approximately 1 out of 200 for some medical studies and as low as 1 out of 100 for others. This is due to possible regrowth of tissue.If pregnancy does occur, there is a 1 in 5 chance that it is an ectopic pregnancy.
An ectopic pregnancy is diagnosed if there is a history of previous surgery ( though it can occur in persons with no such history), severe abdominal pain, vaginal bleeding.

Since pregnancy is a rare possibility, then it would best, if possible to do a home pregnancy test. These are usually accurate. If positive then it would be best to visit your doctor for an evaluation.

There are other causes for reduced menstrual flow such as: (1) physical or emotional stress (2) reduced food intake (3) excess physical activity (4) hormonal imbalance such as low thyroid hormone level

If the test is negative then you can consider waiting a few days to see if the other symptoms resolve.

I hooey this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor