Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Had tube removed right ear. Diagnosed hole in ear drum. Recommended hearing aid. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I had a tube removed from my right ear. Went to my ENT doctor as I felt like I had something in my ear. He took the tube out in his office and informed me I had a hole in my ear drum and the feeling I was experiencing was due to hear loss. He sent for a hearing test. The person doing the test would not recommend a hearing aid because of the hole. My doctor said i could get a hearing aid. Been four weeks since tube out and hole has not healed. I am thinking about seeing another doctor. Would appreciate any help you can give me. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

A fairly good percentage of the population have holes in their ear drums but never notice. Some do hear well and others do not. the hearing depends on the size and duration of the whole. Some of these wholes heal spontaneously and others might require surgery. Surgery must be carefully considered for it is at times associated with complications, mores severe than the hearing disorder itself.

In your case, management shall actually depend on the degree of hearing loss and the size of the whole. I think if the hearing loss is remarkable, it could be a good idea to get the hearing aids. A careful consideration for surgery is an option. However, considering the fact that the duration of the whole is actually not well known, the complications of surgery, It is a good and valid idea to try hearing aids first.

Thanks and hope this helps. However, the clinical evaluation, experience and hearing capacity results are key determinants in making a choice in therapy. The ENt specialist should be seen. I strongly advocate for hearing aids for now. If they fail, surgery or other specialized options should be tried. wishing you good health.

Kind regards, Bain LE, MD.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor