Had treatment for acute diarrhea and giardiasis. Why i am getting the skin rash?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I was treated for acute diarrhea and sickness that I had had for over two weeks in Barbados 12 weeks ago with CIPROXINA ( 500 mg - 2 courses ) which did not cure the problem. Five weeks later I was diagnosed as having Giardiasis and was treated with a course of FASIGYN in the UK.
This cleared up the Diarrhea and I stopped loosing weight ( 15 Kgs over a 7 week period ).
Five weeks from becoming ill I developed a skin rash on my Torso, arms, legs and back and the spots were very itchy and similar to hives. there were literally hundereds of spots and it was a severe irritation. I saw a skin specialist who put me on a four week cousre of using Lacoid Crelo emulsion( Cortisone tyep cream ) to rub on my skin which cleared up the itching and spots. two weeks after stopping using the cream, the itching and spots are back with avengance.
The spots seem to me to be on parts of my skin where there are tendons underneath, such as forearms, backs of legs, shoulderblades, neck, lower back around my spine.

Can you try and advise me what my problem miht be and what I should suggest to my doctor might be a useful treatment. Might I have some sort of Tropical condition, or could the CIPROXINA have caused tendonitus and if so what do I need to do. Life is becoming unbearable.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern. You will appreciate that it is difficult to give a definite advise without having a look at the rash. I shall appreciate if you can upload a photograph of the rash using the facility provided on this site. It will assist me in giving some guidance through this medium.

Contracting a diarrhoea in a tropical country can be very troublesome. It was only after a stool examination that Giardiasis must have been diagnosed. Kindly let me know if any other investigation, especially blood, was done.

Tendonitis does not cause a rash. If the rash comes and goes then it could be urticaria which is an allergic reaction.

Kindly let me know for how long did you apply the steroid ointment and was it stopped abruptly?

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Kindly feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts about the case.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK