Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Had total hysterectomy. Having pain similar to menstrual cramps. No vaginal discharge. Suggest?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9332 Questions
I had a total hysterectomy in 1997, removed cervix/uterus/ovaries. Over the past two weeks I have start to have pain very similar to menstrual cramps and it radiates to my low back. Lasts for a few hours and goes away. I have no vaginal discharge or itching, and I checked for a UTI and was negative. I have not gone for a Pap smear in years because there is nothing there to check anymore. What is your opinion?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Well, there is no need for PAP smear of course and this is probbaly not caused by gynaecological disorders. But it can be caused by some surgical consequances such as pelvic adhesions that can press or obstruct surrounding tissue and organs.
Although, it sounds to me more like kidney stone since UTI is ruled out. So you should do at least ultrasound to check kidneys and gallbaldder. US will also reveal is there any free fluid in pelvic cavity and it may indicate some intraabdominal infections.
Adhesions can be ruled out only by Ct or laparoscopy but I dont think this is necessary at this point. Try to eat easier food,drink plenty of fluids and avoid purine and calcium XXXXXXX food. If this is not helpful,do more detailed work up to rule out adhesions, bowel disorder and kidney disorders.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor