Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Had total hip replacement and had two ruptured disc surgeries. Back pain is worse and spine is curved. What do you think?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
Hello, I had a total hip replacement about 2 1/2 years ago, and about 35 years ago had two ruptured disc surgeries. My disc surgeries were successful but after the hip replacement, I still have pain and my back is worse. The doctors say that the hip is aligned correctly however I am now "crooked" with the right hip higher than the left hip. The doctors say it is because my spine is curved. Well, I was perfectly straight before the surgery so how could it be my spine? My family doctor has confirmed that I do not have scoliosis. What do you think?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Shoe raise can be given for unequal limb length.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Limb length discrepancy is common after hip replacement procedure.
You can use a shoe raise on left side, if discrepancy is up to 2cm it will get corrected by it.
If still pain remains persistent then you need to investigate for cause of pain.
MRI spine and x ray hip will be helpful in diagnosing cause of pain.
Till time continue analgesic and calcium with vit D supplement.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had total hip replacement and had two ruptured disc surgeries. Back pain is worse and spine is curved. What do you think? 2 hours later
Thank you for all your advice. I do have an appt. with another orthopedic surgeon, but he is in the same group as the dr. that did the initial surgery, so who knows. I have already tried the shoe lift and it didn't help. I have changed my HMO to a PPO, so starting January I can see dr.s in other states. I have a daughter in San XXXXXXX and I will start researching ortho's in that location. Also going to try and see a good Pain Management dr. in San XXXXXXX This is my last chance at trying to take care of my problem. If it doesn't work, then I will just simply give up and learn to live with the pain. Again, thanks for all your input. Oh, I have already had MRI's with and without contrast, Cat Scans with and without contrast, and countless xrays. I am so weary but I still have this last chance after January to see if I can find a qualified dr. in San XXXXXXX that can help me. Thanks very much.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Then you need further investigation

Detailed Answer:

So now you will need good clinical examination and investigation accordingly.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor