Had tonsillitis and have congested chest and coughing up thick yellow mucus. Taking antibiotics. How long does it take to cure?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had tonsilitis for about 4 days now, but i also have a congested chest coughing up thick yellow mucous (sometimes with a little blood) i've been on anti biotics for 2 days & there are still white areas on my tonsils & they are still very red, i have uncontrollable cough, nasal congestion as well & dont feel like im getting any better! how long does it take for anti-biotics to kick in & would this be more than just tonsilitis?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi XXXX, Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there could be high possibility of acute upper respiratory tract viral infection superimposed by bacterial infection with involvement of tonsils.

Presence of white spots favors Acute bacterial tonsillitis.

As uncontrolled infection is not treated at proper time, there could also be possibility of lower respiratory tract involvement. Presence of coughing of yellow colored mucus with chest congestion suggests the diagnosis.

Tonsils are actually just like bodyguard in human beings and prevents infection to invade body and protect from lethal infection.

Although complete recovery may take 7-10 days, partial improvement may get within 2-3 days depending on the effectiveness of taking antibiotic course.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.

You should also go for complete hemogram, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, chest x XXXXXXX x XXXXXXX PNS (paranasal sinus) view.

You should also go for throat swab culture & sensitivity under proper observation of microbiologist.

Paranasal sinus and tonsils itself may be a source of recurrent infections and may get worsen at any time.

Meanwhile in my personal opinion, you should take broad spectrum antibiotics, decongestants, paracetamol.

You should avoid cold drinks, oily and sour food.

perform gargles three times in day; add a pinch of salt in a lukewarm water.

Take care,
Let me know your other associated query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 39 hours later
thank you for your response. since having the antibiotics last night i could feel spots on the back of my tongue & i woke up several times with severe dry mouth even my tongue was dry which scared me. Is this oral thrush? what can i do to stop this from happening? i am unable to breathe thru my nose as it is congested.
thanks again
Amy
Brief Answer:
Hi, Presence of oral thrush can be confirmed by cl

Detailed Answer:
Presence of oral thrush can be confirmed by clinical examination.
Spots on the back of tongue are actually adenoid tissue which are also protective in nature.
If I am your treating doctor then I would like to advice you to continue broad spectrum antibiotics, clotrimazole oral paste and gargles.
You should also take steam inhalation for decreasing nasal congestion.

Best regards,
Get well soon,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava