Had tonsillectomy. Getting burning sensation in throat and noticed bump on it. Cause and cure?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a tonsillectomy done a month ago. It seemed to be healing fine then today I have had a burning sensastion in my throat all day. I just looked with a small flashlight and saw that my throat is red and splotchy with little white bumps all over my throat at the back as well as where my tonsils were located. I've never seen this before and the pain is getting worse. Should I be worried about this?? could it be from the surgery. I should also mention that a couple weeks ago I came down with a respiratory infection and was coughing alot. The coughing has gotten better but is not completely gone. I know my throat was not fully healed when I got sick so I'm wondering if being sick and coughing could have done something to interrupt the healing process.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is highly unlikely that this has to do with the surgery since one month has elapsed.

2. All the lymphoid tissue n the throat cannot be removed. The palatine tonsils constitute only a part of the lymphoid tissue in the throat. Hence throat infections may occur, though at lesser frequency than before the operation.

3. Get your throat examined by an ENT Specialist to rule out any cause such as an acute URTI (tonsillectomy, the healing is usually not complete and hence you are correct in assuming that you may have got another throat infection while the healing was taking place. The causative allergy or infection may have gained access to the deeper tissues while the healing was incomplete.

5. This could have delayed the healing slightly, though not a cause for worry. Treatment should be symptomatic and include anti-allergics, anti-inflammatory medications and medicated gargles. The decision to start antibiotics should be left to your doctor.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.