Had thyroid problem during pregnancy. Should i take medicine after delivery?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: hello doc
my wife had a high TSH level (512), T3 (Below 10) & T4 (Below 0.3) in Mid-October 2012. She is since then taking thyronorm 100 once a day before breakfast. Her Anti TPO count showed > 1000. She delivered a baby boy in March 2013. Her Thyroid levels in October 2012 (during pregnancy) were normal. The baby boy is having normal levels of thyroid.
I wanted to know if her Thyroid levels would have normalised by now? She had been for a pre-employment medical check up for a desk job; and they have asked her to test for TSH levels again.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 49 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your query,
Your wife is having Hypothyroidism, and even her antibody TPO is positive which indicate autoimmune disease and progressive.
I can understand that she is taking Thyronorm 100 microgms/day.
She delivered baby boy in March 2012.
A normal value for TSH is .3 to 6 micro IU/ml.
It is not clear what her TSH level (512) was?
It takes 2 to 3 months to reach normal level provided patient takes Thyroid replacement regularly, but we need to recheck TSH level periodically.
According to TSH level, dose is adjusted.
Please let me know what her T3, T4 and TSH level was.
If possible you can scan and attach the reports.
Once I get your reports, I will be in a better position to clarify things
With Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 24 minutes later
Hi Doc,

The values are as provided in the bracket for the respective levels. TSH level of 512 might sound an error in reporting but the report had a remark (*rechecked) for this value. We did repeat the test through another lab, and it still gave us a very hight TSH value indicated as >100.

TSH level (512), T3 (Below 10) & T4 (Below 0.3)

Best Regards,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 16 minutes later
Thanks for your input,
Even TSH level > 100 mIU/ml is very high and is possible, in that case depending on clinical parameters, we can increase the dose of Thyronorm.
You can do so after consulting your Physician/Endocrinologist.
If sufficient time has passed a repeat FreeT3, Free T4 and TSH may be done to know recent status of thyroid function.
I think it may take some more time before TSH level may normalize in her case.
Please inform me about the progress.
Please feel free to ask if you have any further query.
Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 11 minutes later
Hello Doc,

Thanks for this. I am concerned as she has been asked to go for TSH test as a part of her pre-employment medical check up.

Should this create an issue for her to get a fitness certificate? she is only meant to perform desk job in a bank.

Kindly advise.

Best Regards,

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 12 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern,
I think even if her TSH level is raised still, it should not be an issue for a desk job in a bank.
I know that hypothyroidism can be treated easily.
Although I don’t know what are the requirements from their side.
I wish her Best of Luck.

I have answered your query, if there is nothing more, kindly close this discussion.
Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.