Had surgery to repair a torn ACL in knee. How long should we wait for a baby?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: My husband and I are trying to conceive. He recently had surgery to repair a torn ACL in his knee. He had both local and general anesthesia. He then got a morphine shot for the pain and took 1 mg dilodide pills for a couple of weeks. Should we wait before trying to conceive a healthy baby and, if so, for how long?
I forgot to mention he is also taking anti-inflammatories for 3 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
The medicines that your husband has taken are not likely to affect the sperm health. It may temporarily reduce the sperm production which is reversible in three months after stopping the treatment. You can try for a baby in your fertile days since the sperm quality is not affected. Please do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.