Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Had surgery on neck. Having a painful lump at the bottom of back. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
Hi I am 54 years old ad have had surgery on my back at the top of my neck, but over the last year I have developed a lump at the bottom of my back about 50cm from the left hand side of my spine. Recently I have been getting a lot of pain in the area of this lump it effects the left hip and stop me from going to the toilet, it also gives me discomfort in my groin area and my left leg. when it starts I just cannot walk it last about 4 days then I can start walking but the pain is very painful, I told my Doctor of this and he told me it was a piece of gristle, and it would go, but at present it is the size of a golf ball.
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer: You need medication and investigation Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. According to your history there is possibility of benign swelling around your spine and hip. As swelling is not reducing and giving pain while walking I will advise you to further investigate for the cause of swelling. I will advise you to do MRI and Ultrasound of the swelling. If its collection or benign mass it can be excised. Till time you can take anti-inflammatory and antibiotic if infection is suspected. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor