Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Had surgery on knees for meniscus and ACL tear. Recently torn ACL muscle. Another surgery needed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
Hi there...I am writing to get more inputs on my orthopaedics issue.
I have had two surgeries on my right knee. First was for meniscus tear which happened while playing soccer in 2007. Things were fine for 3 years but then I again suffered a sports injury. MRI scanned revealed that I had torn my ACL this time which was again operated in 2011.
Unfortunately, I again suffered an injury and got an MRI done. Consulted a few doctors and they said I have again torn my ACL and would need another surgery.

Is this common to have so may recurring injuries. Currently, I am exercising with weights and doing cardio excluding running or something which doesn't involve sudden acceleration/ deccelaration of leg. I am from India, New Delhi. Please advise as I want to get back to playing sports.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will advise to do ACL reconstruction

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.

Yes it is very common that one who is in sports activity has recurrent knee joint and repeated injury while playing sports.
As you have done surgery for meniscus and ACL ligament previously, there will be associated degenerative changes in that particular joint.

Since you want to join sports again I will recommend you to go for arthroscopic ACL reconstruction again, graft for ACL can be used from other leg, use of endobutton will give good results.
At age of 30 if you don’t operate for ACL then progression of knee arthritis will be rapid as your knee is not mechanically stable.

You need to do proper physiotherapy protocol before and after surgery to strengthen your quadriceps and hamstring muscles.
Knee support like knee cap or hinged knee brace will be helpful,

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor