Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Had surgery for prolapsed hemorrhoid. Why is there pulse sensation in anus? Related to hemorrhoids?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
25 years ago I had surgery for a prolapsed hemorrhoid and since then have not had any reoccurence. However in just the last 6 weeks I have experienced a gentle pulsing sensation in my anus which I feel maybe a hemorrhoid developing. I am now a 71year old Pensioner and the thought of another hemorrhoid operation down the track is not something I wish to contemplate. As yet I have not visited my Doctor as I feel there is possibly a simple resolution before becoming involved with many expensive specialists. Please can you give me some advice.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

From the symptoms that you have described it looks like the hemorrhoids are recurring. Straining during bowel movements can cause the hemorrhoids to recur.

First of all lifestyle measures need to be incorporated. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Just make sure to increase your fluid intake when you increase your fiber in the diet.

You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids. However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy.

Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used. Recurrence after infrared photocoagulation are less.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor