Had surgery for endocarditis. On warfarin. How long the side effects of medication last after stopping it?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had surgery on August 16 for endocarditis. I have been taking Warfarin from that date and will finish taking it, per the doctor, on November 18. How many days after I stop taking Warfarin will the side effects stop? Thank you Cliff Colnot
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 days later
Brief Answer: Within 1 week, the side effects will stop... Detailed Answer: Hi Cliff, Please bare in mind that the effects of warfarin as a anti-coagulant will persistent up to 7 days after stopping it. Therefore, as the main side effects are related to risk of hemorrhage, then, after 3-4 days of stopping warfarin, you will be safe of major bleeding. If you are experiencing other less risky side effects (such as skin rash), after 7 days of stopping warfarin, they will disappear. Hope it answered to your question! Dr.Benard p.s. if you have more questions, please write back to me!