Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Had surgery done for pilondilal sinus. Felt lump on butt crack. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
Hi I was doing sit ups this morning and a large lump has developed on the top of my right bum cheek.
I have Pilondilal sinus before and had surgery 2 years ago, but this lump seems to have devloped from no where and is to the right of the crack not in it
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 44 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for choosing us.

From your presentation, a lump could most probably be a cyst or an abscess. As you are well informed about a pilonidal abscess/cyst which takes place in the natal cleft (buttock crack), it can sometimes even take place just above or around it. Although from your description, it does sound like this could be a cyst or abscess of the gluteal region.

As you are aware of the symptoms, which include:
-Difficulty/tenderness in sitting/walking
-Pain (if increasing, is a sign of the infection worsening)
-If increase in size, worsening of the abscess and filling with dead tissue, pus and even blood

I would request you to kindly visit a doctor earlier than later, as an early abscess is much easily treated than a fully grown or complicated one, and might completely resolve with only antibiotic coverage, without requiring incision and drainage.

In the meantime, please:
- Avoid oily/fatty food
- Avoid meat (especially red meat)
- Apply warm compress on the area
- Please consume plenty of water
- Have plenty of fruits and leafy green vegetables
- Keep the area dry and clean, you could even place a sterile pad in the region

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor