Had stroke. Taking Vicodin ES. Will these medicine cause any liver disease?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My sister is 49 yrs old. Had a stroke at 35. Post CVA effects: R side weakness, muscle atrophy, "S" shaped spine, low back pain. Takes Vicodin ES & XXXXXXX RX of 120 tabs of each q month. Abuses these drugs. Gone in 2 wks. Then takes Tylenol ES 100 tabs for 2 wks. Dx w/Hep C last yr w/liver enzymes over 30 million. Took the injections & pills for 6 months Cannot remember the names, Rx for Hep C. Went into remission. Had LFT done in Dec. Liver enzymes over 6 million. I told her she had to stop taking acetamenaphine d/t liver disease. Stated her GI doc said OK to continue, but he does not know the abuse of the meds. Could this have caused the liver disease to return? What can or should she do? Will not let me nor our Mother talk to GI doc. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 8 hours later

Sorry for a delayed response.

Could you type the exact liver enzymes and their numbers along with units. I mean ALT, AST, Alk phosphatase, GGT, Bilirubin. I do not see them in millions. If they are in millions her GI should not be OK with them.

Any medication abuse will affect the liver. She actually should be very careful in choosing medicine and nothing over the counter and without informing the treating GI doctor.

Waiting for your reply...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli