Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Had sprain in ankle. Having pain and swelling. Home remedies. Should I go to doctor?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9350 Questions
Description: I sprained my ankle badly 14 hours ago (the outside). Put ice, put bandage around it and pain subsided very little swelling.
Wake up in the morning and the foot is stiff, i can feel it is more fragile than yesterday and foot is able to move less and it also hurts. I put ice on it, it does not hurt that much now but looks like the only way to not have pain is to not move the foot at all. It can only rest in a certain position on a pillow and not move. Any movement even walking with crutches causes pain. not severe pain but a fair amount.
question: Should I go to the doctor or can it heal with home remedies? If home remedy is ok when exactly do I start warming my ankle up with hot water and do some excercise? Is it normal that I am not able to move my body/leg without hurting it 14 hours after?
thank you
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

This is usual symptomatology of intensive ankle spraining. The only reason why should you visit the doctor is if there is some doubt about bone fracture and need for surgery and immobilisation. I there wasnt trauma or hit which could cause fracture then you can treat this at home by rest, leg elevation, ice compresses, antiinflammatory painkillers. You should not move foot or stand on it till pain subside. There is probably intraarticular swelling, capsular and ligamentar straining and this is a reason for ankle stiffness. Several days are necessary till swelling pulls back and your ankle movements will improve gradually in next 3-5 days.
So try to rest strictly for 24-36 hours after injury and then stretch or stand on feet till limit of pain.After this time also you can warm up your ankle as you said.

If you have numbness,paleness, loss of pulsations or cold feet you should go to hospital as soon as you can but this rarely occurs.
Wish you good health. Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had sprain in ankle. Having pain and swelling. Home remedies. Should I go to doctor? 1 hour later
Ok. Thank you. Until my pain subsides to keep my ankle immobilised I would like to get something that will prevent my foot/ankle from moving left/right and down/up. Can you recommend something I can buy locally. If locally is not possible -then online. May be a brace or something like this.
Because I live alone I still need to move - I have crutches.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
yes.there are many kind ankle braces .
every better pharmacy should have it. I think that people are satisfied with aequi ankle braces or similar ones. And this isn't to expensive. There is no need for rigid immobilization since there is no leg fracture.
Walk with crutches as much as you want.just don't stand with injured leg more than 10kg on ground.
such injuries usually recover very quickly.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had sprain in ankle. Having pain and swelling. Home remedies. Should I go to doctor? 21 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
You are welcome. Wish you all best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor