Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Had splenectomy for idiopathic thrombocytopenia. Have fever. Taking nyquil for cough. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
My 30 year old son has had a splenectomy for idiopathic thrombocytopenia 5 years ago. For two days now,has been running a fever of 102 degrees (orally). He states he only has a cough and is taking Nyquil for it. He never calls our sick from work, but has been bedridden for 2 days. He states it's nothing, but my gut instincts are telling me: he needs to go to the emergency room. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
In my opinion you must take your son to the emergency room and get investigated for the cause of fever. I think he needs a course of effective antibiotic to get rid from it.

You are already taking medication for common cold and not getting any relief. Even in this condition if fever persists for more than 2 days we need to take a course of antibiotic.

So consult your doctor at emergency and go for certain blood investigation like Complete blood count, Widal, Liver function test. Depending upon the investigation reports treatment can be planned.
You can give Paracetamol orally to reduce fever and steam inhalation if your son has chest congestion.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have another query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor