Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Had sore pain on lower eyelid's orbicularis oculi. Getting constant inflammation pain. Antibiotics?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10334 Questions
hi, i have had a sore pain on my left lower eyelid's orbicularis oculi for about 2 years now. it started when a hairdresser wiped my face with a towel and ended up scraping the inside of my lower lid with the towel. i feel a constant inflammation pain and also struggle to lift the lower eyelid up. when i shower in a hard water area, i do feel the pain more and also get a white pus appear on the outer edge of the eye. can you please help me? what eye drops or antibiotics would be best to use for this?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that you are having a recurrent infection in the area that is causing the pain and other symptoms.
The first thing you can do, regardless of the cause is avoid touching, rubbing or staring at the eyelid. Staring at the eyelid will only lead to touching and rubbing, so stay out of the mirror and avoid the temptation.
Avoid wearing make-up, including powders and base. Particles can fly through the air and irritate your eyelids even more.
Try using a cold cloth or even cucumbers twice a day.
Splashing cool water on your face can help reduce the irritation.
Over-the-counter antihistamines eye drops can help too. But proper antibiotic treatment is needed for a long term relief. These are all prescription medicines.
Physical check up is necessary to find out the cause. You need to consult your ophthalmologist to get antibiotic and anti allergic eye drops prescribed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had sore pain on lower eyelid's orbicularis oculi. Getting constant inflammation pain. Antibiotics? 13 minutes later
hi. thank you for the quick response. i did get a GP check on it 2 years ago, but they just gave me a basic eye drop, which had no effect. will i need antibiotics which are taken by eyedrop or by oral? and can the lower eye lid be 100% cured?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since there is a pus discharge, antibiotics are needed to control the infection. You may need oral antibiotics in addition to the eye drops after a culture sensitivity testing. It can be treated. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had sore pain on lower eyelid's orbicularis oculi. Getting constant inflammation pain. Antibiotics? 16 minutes later
hi. thanks. how is a culture test carried out on an eye? as i don't like the idea of someone flipping my eyelid back/down to check it
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
A swab is taken from the site of pus discharge and is sent for culture. The eyelid needs to be flipped for a proper examination. It is not a painful procedure. Please do not worry. Proper treatment will help you in an early recovery.
Best wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor