Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Had slip disk problem and recovered. Had recurring pain. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10322 Questions
I had a slip disk problem 5 years ago and was on bed rest for about 2 months. I have recovered well then but had some recurring pains for 3 occasions when I had to take bed rest again for a couple of days each. I have not had any sever pain for the last 2 years. On doctor's advice, I am keeping away from heavy tasks and outdoor sports. However I wanted to take sports up now and going to the gym. I wanted to assess if this would be good/bad for me?
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can try swimming and aerobics.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
The most essential and long lasting remedy in case of a slip disc problem is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and neck isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible.
I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.
Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain. You can discuss about this with your Gym instructor.
Gradually increase the grade of exercises so that it does not affect your present condition.
You can also start with mild jogging and warming up exercises before starting with the sports. Do consult your orthopedician who after a clinical assessment will guide you regarding the degree of stress your back can take.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor