Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Had sex with HIV infected person. Having lots of anxiety. Is P24 test good?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2703 Questions
I am a 34 year old female last Wednesday I unknowingly had sex with an HiV positive uncircumcised male...he admitted he was positive on sunday...what should or could I do P24 test a good option I have a lot of anxiety...please help I cant talk to anyone I feel very stupid he told me he was clean and I believed him..he did not ejaculate inside of me
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query.

Nearly 30- 40% of the couple among the HIV positive individuals are remaining sero-discordant ( That is one of the partner is remaining HIV negative) in spite of regular and consistent sex.
So it is not always necessary to get the infection by a single contact. The risk through heterosexual genito-genital contact is 10 per 0000 exposures as per CDC, USA. information.

You can go for P24 Antigen test or HIV DNA PCR test which becomes positive as early as 1 week if infection occurs and the same should be repeated after 4 weeks. If it is negative after 3-4 weeks of the risky exposure, then you can relax and relieved from all tension and fear and forget about HIV. Don't forget safe sex here afterwards.

Nowadays HIV is like any other disease and manageable easily and those with HIV can live decently without any problem for more than thirty years. HIV child recently cured completely and a Berlin patient also had been cured completely, so a cure is on the way.

Wish you good luck.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had sex with HIV infected person. Having lots of anxiety. Is P24 test good? 18 minutes later
Should I go to the ER or to my Gynecologist or primary care doctor for the test?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.

You need not XXXXXXX a Gynecologist as you are not having any other complaint pertained to your genitals.
You can XXXXXXX any counselling center for HIV is available, there also you can contact.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor