Had sex while tampon inserted in vagina. Feeling discomfort and burning sensation. Is this normal?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: my tampon got stuck inside me last night. I forgot I had it in and I had sexual intercourse with my boyfriend. I realized it this morning and pulled it out, but now it burns when i urinate or when i go to the bathroom, in general. i pretty much cry when I do go. I'm feeling a lot of discomfort down there and I don't know if this is normal or not? I don't know if it will go away or if I should go see a doctor. when I pulled it out, I found the string and pulled the entire tampon out. my guess is that it's just irritated, but I want to know for sure.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Oh, young lady you are too casual about self care!
How can one just forget a tampon in vagina, it is XXXXXXX behaviour, please avoid this in future because keeping the tampons longer than advised time can cause life threatening infections like septic shock.
You should go to ER and get examined as soon as possible.
Local irrigation and antibiotics may be needed and should be instituted in time for best results and safety.
Get a urine routine and culture/sensitivity, you can have acquired a urinary tract infection also.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 28 hours later
Dr. Choudhary, thank you for your help. it's funny, I looked it up on the Internet before I asked for your hell and it's actually really common. a lot of people forget they have one in simply because it's not heavy anymore. however, I do not have the burning sensation when I go to the bathroom anymore. it's feels normal again. I have no foul odors, not nothing. would you still suggest me going to the ER? the tampon was removed first thing in the morning.. it wasn't in for a really long period of time. I feel that my cervix or just my vaginal cavity was irritated by the tampon banging around in there, so it hurt a bit before it got better. it just needed a day or so to heal. you're the doctor, though. so your opinion matters. do you think the ER is still necessary?

much thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
If there is no burning urination or fever or any eruption then it is not essential to go to ER right now provided that you can continue to be watchful and can access the ER urgently if required.
Wish you a great health!