Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Had sex while on period. Now getting stomach cramp. Any STD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6940 Questions
Hi, I had unprotected sex with my this guy I known for a long time while I was on my period. That same day I had used veet hair removal cream down there. I was told it was okay. 3-4 days later I started having really bad itching, pain, throbbing and redness in my vaginal area. Also it goes towards the anal. Also my stomach hurts occasionally in random places or my lower abdominal hurts. I can't afford a doctor and I don't know what to do. Do I have STD or HIV? Please help me
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I understand your concern. Symptoms of pain, itching, throbbing and redness that starts after unprotected sex is always concerning. Based on the details provided, there are 2 possibilities:

1. These symptoms can be due to sensitivity to the chemicals present in the hair removal cream.
Sensitivity should be checked before using any topical preparation for the first time. Did you do the sensitivity test?

2. This may be an early manifestation of infection. As the symptoms are severe, bacterial infections are more likely. Do you have any kind of vaginal discharge? - If yes, then you need to get a culture of the vaginal discharge to isolate the organism and treat it with appropriate antibiotic.

Besides bacteria, other fungus and virus can produce similar symptoms too.

Therefore ideally your symptoms will need a visit to a gynecologist to rule out infection before starting on any treatment. If you are unable to reach a doctor, you may try a local cream which contains antibiotic and antifungal drugs. A steroid cream can be added with caution to the above regimen for symptom relief.

As far as HIV is concerned, it would be too early to confirm / rule out. I would suggest you to perform serological tests / HIV DNA PCR test under the guidance of a healthcare provider after couple of weeks.

Without a direct clinical examination, my options to help you are limited and I hope you find this reply useful. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor