Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Had sex and now facing delay in periods. Is it a sign of pregnancy?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I had sex 2 months back nd after that i had my periods in that month nd also next month but now at the 3rd month it suddently stopped . Am i pregnent ???
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

In this circumstance, your chance of pregnancy is quite less as you had gotten two successive period after sex. Are you still sexually active in between these months? Pregnancy is the most common cause of missed period in sexually active women. Therefore, I suggest you to undergo one home pregnancy test at the earliest to rule out pregnancy. Blood test for beta hCG is advisable for confirmation of the same.

In the absence of pregnancy, there are several other reasons of missed period. For information sake they are like progesterone hormone deficient, weight gain, ovarian cyst, psychological factors & mental stress, high prolactin level etc.

To make a concrete diagnosis, you need to consult with gynecologist for clinical examination and relevant investigations (like pelvic ultrasound, hormone assay etc) if you have missed period more than 7 days in the absence of pregnancy.

With this type of problem, I treat my patient with progesterone medication (like norethisterone) to induce period after getting negative pregnancy test. You must take a proper prescription from your treating doctor.

To get your period, you must maintain a healthy lifestyle by following things:

1) take healthy diet 2) avoid spicy foods/ salt/ coffee 3) drink more water and eat green vegetables 4) control body weight 5) avoid stress by regular meditation 6) keep bowel habit regular and 7) take sound sleep.

Hope, I have explained every thing in details for your proper understanding. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor