Had sebaceous cyst removed, have cyst on sternum. Is this location hard for cyst removel?

Dr. Rohan Khandelwal

Oncologist, Surgical

Posted on Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: A few years back I had a sebaceous cyst removed along my bra line and the doctor said it can come back or can comeaback close to site! Now I have a cyst on my sternum right beside the one removed! I went to a skin specialist & he told me he thought it was another sebaceous cyst & sent me to a surgeon! I am going but worry about the location! Is this location hard to remove cyst & is there any organs that could be affected? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 10 hours later

I understand you are apprehensive about your condition and the location of the sebaceous cyst.

A sebaceous cyst is a swelling which arises from the skin and does not infiltrate the underlying structures. So don't be worried about other structures being involved.

Also from your past history I can gather that your mammograms have been normal. So the surrounding breast tissue is most likely normal.

The only problem with sebaceous cysts over the sternum is that it can give rise to a bad scar. You can request your surgeon to use sub-cuticular sutures so that you don't develop that complication.

Sebaceous cysts can get infected, so it is better that you get it removed before that complication arises. There is always a chance of recurrence as your surgeon mentioned to you.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad